Friday 29 May 2020

Farm Implement

Today I took a vacation day to do a bunch of things which included a firewood delivery, food stock up at Costco, parts pick up and also picking up a new farm implement. 

Last year, when making hay, my old hay tedder had it's gear box blow up right as I started haying which put me in a bind. I had to find a tedder, QUICKLY, since I had hay cut and needed it to fluff it up and dry out what I had laying. I found one but it was a stressful time. 
At the end of the season, I realized our old hay rake that my granddad bought, needed a lot of work and I started to get worried about using it this year for haying in case I have a repeat of the tedder situation. Our old rake looks something like this one below, which isn't an exact picture but very similar 

New Holland 56 hay rake - (Warren) for Sale in Hartford ...

I decided to upgrade the rake this year to something I've been looking at for awhile, which is a wheel rake and it looks like this:



This is totally different than my old side delivery rake but should make it easier to rake up hay in tight fields and it requires little to no maintenance. These are the types of purchases I regularly make on the farm since most of the old gear is wearing out from when my grandfather bought it and now we need new gear. Over the last few years I got a new hay mower, tedder and now rake. A baler will be the next purchase in the next few years but the old one we have should be good for awhile yet. 

This is the first time I am getting a piece of gear in pieces and will have to put it together which should be an fun Saturday activity in the next few weeks. I showed you what it should look like, but right now it looks like the picture below.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Farm Planning for 2024

As we settle into the winter months of January and February, we are looking ahead to planning for the year after the snow melts. Although wi...