Sunday 24 May 2020

Kick off!

Well, here it is. I've talked about doing a blog for years but now I've finally had the time and headspace to finally take it on. I've wanted to document what I do on the farm and in the forests here on my 200-year-old family farm for so many reasons. Mainly, I've wanted to help anyone else thinking of moving to a homesteading/farming lifestyle, and with COVID, it seems more people are interested in it than ever. 

I wasn't sure how to start off my first blog post but I'm going to kick this one off by a bit about me and the farm. The farm is a 200 year old, 6th generation beef, produce and forestry operation in New Ross. Orginally the land was given to the original Meister who settled here and grew it, along with the 5 generation after him. The farm is 600 acres, with most being woodlot and 50 acres being pasture and hay fields. There is a large barn that houses the Angus cattle, a few other outbuildings and a new event building that was built last year. 


I moved back to the farm after 6 years in Alberta which was an amazing time (I think I was an Albertan in another life). The main reason was getting connected back to something other than a downtown and chasing the career ladder. The farm also provided food security and an active lifestyle which, during COVID, has really made me feel I've been preparing for a pandemic just by living here. 

Maintaining the property is a full time job which is added workload since I work in HR at NSCC as a full time job. I'll make a future post about how I've been able to find a balance between those two roles. 

The farm gives lots of products like produce, beef, wood (lumber and firewood) as well as eggs and chicken and in future maple syrup. These all offer food security and a connection to where our food comes from. 

I'll add more blog posts on the adventure of living on a farm as well as things I've learned for anyone who might be interested!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Farm Planning for 2024

As we settle into the winter months of January and February, we are looking ahead to planning for the year after the snow melts. Although wi...