Monday 17 August 2020

Caught up (pretty much) - Thanks COVID

 With the end of haying season in record time, considering the wet conditions in July, I've had a weekend to reflect on where I am at with farm/forestry work. For the first time in 9 years (since moving here) I feel pretty well caught up on all the work that needs to be done here. Could I do lots more? Of course! The house has always been second place and we need to do a ton of work like renovate my office space for the winter, paint inside trim and finish the front entrance, not to mention figure out a new roof before winter. All the buildings need something like paint or repair and the barn project is still on the go but the major milestones of the year like having hay done, winter firewood ready, fencing done and manure/fertilizer spread, is all done. Those time-sensitive and required tasks always add pressure and being caught up on them is now going to hopefully give time to do things like work on the house and have some social time with friends. 

This all happened this year because of the time I gained back from not commuting to my office job 5 days a week. I've said in past posts how huge this impact has been on everything. Just gaining back 3 hours a day from commuting has allowed me to start work in the evenings earlier and put in roughly an extra 8 hours a week. During haying season, I've been able to run out at lunch time and fluff up the hay to speed up drying time and even rake since those are jobs that can be done in less than an hour but can't be done when in the office. I've also been around when calving season was happening and even now when the cattle get into trouble like knock over their waterer. 

I've said this in past posts, how COVID has made such a positive impact in my life by allowing me to have more time to catch up on things and after haying season this year, I've had time to reflect on how much it has helped in these types of tasks. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Farm Planning for 2024

As we settle into the winter months of January and February, we are looking ahead to planning for the year after the snow melts. Although wi...