Friday 30 April 2021

Machine Repairs - A farm/forest necessity

As most of you who follow our farm social media, you'll know that I have gone back to school (NSCC) to take the Heavy Duty Equipment program. This is a blended program where it's online and in the shop on Monday and Wednesday evenings. The things I am learning are mostly about engines, welding, hydraulics and electronics with heavy equipment and large trucks. So you might be wondering why I am taking that type of program and not something else farm related to animals, field management or otherwise? It's because machine repair is the most common issue and costliest problem on the farm and forest operations here. 

After 10 years of building up a number of machines I currently operate:

  • A TimberJack skidder
  • A Branson Tractor
  • All haying equipment
  • A manure spreader
  • A firewood processor
  • A Valmet Forestry Tractor
  • A 12 ft dump trailer

Operating some of the larger gear like the Valmet means things go wrong all the time because they have complex hydraulics and engine setups and they are operated in a tough forest environment. In this picture above, you can see a common issue of a hydraulic hose break. These are fairly easy to fix, but some issues are a lot tougher.

This issue above was the one that made me apply to the heavy-duty program. It was a fuel issue with the Valmet forestry tractor. The mechanic that helped me fix it, showed me that knowing the fundamentals will allow you to fix the problem. I applied to the program shortly after :)

Machine repairs make up the majority of expenses here on the farm. With the large forestry tractor, a service call is almost a $1000 minimum cost but can go up depending on the issue. Parts and mostly labour can bring a bill up and taking this program eliminates the labour costs which are often 70% of a service bill. 

As I wrap up my 1st year of the 2 year program, I have already used my skills on multiple projects and looking forward to learning more next year to be even better with engines, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Farm Planning for 2024

As we settle into the winter months of January and February, we are looking ahead to planning for the year after the snow melts. Although wi...