Friday 12 June 2020

Reta the Cow (aka: Turnip Eater)

One of the things that happens on the farm is that I get close to our animals, the cattle in particular. Since I spend so much time with them (twice a day in the winter for example), they get to know me and I get to know them. They all have their own personalities and quirks but they also have a history. For some like Mack, it includes coming from another farm, but for most, it's a history of living here. For Reta, her lineage has always been on the farm.


Although I don't have any pictures, her mom looked just like her and was a cow my grandfather had that we used to call Longhorn because, you guessed it, she had long horns. When dad took over the farm he had Longhorn for a few years but then kept one of her calves before she had to go to market. Reta was the cow he kept and she is 1/2 Herford and 1/2 Angus although you only see the Hereford in her looks. She has been one of the cows that sticks out on the farm since dad was working the cattle and now as I do, she has grown into the leader of the herd. 

Reta often is at the front of the pack and leads the herd to graze and to rest. She is so calm and gentle to everyone she meets and has been second only to Bud the bull, with her great personality with people of all ages. In the above picture, she is being nice and calm around total strangers (except Christina) and always is up for a petting. If you were to ask me what I look for in a cow to have on the farm, it will 100% always be a cow that is calm and quiet in their demeanor so they are easy to handle or be around. 

Reta also has the distinction of having the largest calf every year. This year she had "Carson" and although he came backward, he is still a large calf that I am going to raise as a bull to sell since he has an amazing angus/hereford look. 

She also picked up a nickname since we moved home of "Turnip eater" since she loves turnip leafs that Christina gives her from the garden. Watching her eat them is like watching me eat Dominos Pizza. She loooooves them!

Although I shouldn't, I get very attached to our cows and Reta is no exception. She is like a member of the family and I feel like we are both so connected to the land here since I grew up around her mother and now being on the farm with her brings a unique connection. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Farm Planning for 2024

As we settle into the winter months of January and February, we are looking ahead to planning for the year after the snow melts. Although wi...