Saturday 6 June 2020

Working Remote.....on a farm

I think I mentioned in my first blog, that I work an office job during the day and the farm work takes evenings/weekends/vacations. Since Covid-19, I've been working remotely for 13 weeks with no time in the office with a remote office here on the farm. This has offered some real insight into the benefits/challenges of remote work but also the benefits of working an office job remotely on the farm.

Some of the benefits of remote work, in general, have been so much more available time and feeling less in a rush. I gain 3 hours a day back from no commuting and in March/April, that was amazing since it allowed me to get barn chores done in the morning and have lots of time to make a good breakfast and start work by 7:30AM. I am amazed how much better I have felt since no longer commuting and getting a great breakfast instead of shoving down a nutrigrain bar and heading out the door. I haven't had to use my alarm clock in all that time home, since I naturally wake up around 5:30AM every morning, giving me lots of time to feed cattle, dogs and chickens before myself and starting work at 7:30. 

I also get lots of time at the end of the day to work 4-5 hours on the farm when I'm done work at 4PM. Normally I would have to drive home and maybe get stuck in traffic, meaning I didn't actually get home, eat then get outside until around 6pm. This has been huge as far as feeling healthier and being able to get more time outside working on the farm. This was a big reason why I was able to get fertilizer spread and also rebuild our pasture fence line. I also got so much more time with the cattle at chore time, so they are so much tamer in the field. 


On top of all that, I also have less wear and tear on vehicles and costs of gas. Overall this has been a healthier, more cost-effective, and actually productive time in both office and farm work. 

The main thing I miss when working remote has been the social connections to my best friends, many of which are at work. We have done lots of virtual happy hours and chats but I do miss all my close friends during this time. If I didn't have the farm to keep me so busy, I would be in a serious funk. 

Whenever things get back to a form of normal, at this point I'll have a hard time adjusting to not working remote since it's been such a healthy change of pace, but I will be glad to see so many people I miss so much. 


 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you see the study about working at home since COVID. The study had two groups: one that worked at home and the other than worked in the office. The group that worked at home was more productive but less content. The group that worked in the office were less productive but more content. The home work group missed the social interaction at the office and were not so content about working at home all the time.

    ReplyDelete

Farm Planning for 2024

As we settle into the winter months of January and February, we are looking ahead to planning for the year after the snow melts. Although wi...