Sunday 13 February 2022

Buying Dry Firewood

Since firewood is one of the main products for sale here on the farm, I wanted to share some information on buying and drying firewood. I get calls all the time for firewood but I don't sell all year around because I can't sell dry firewood in the late fall and winter months. A few recent calls made me think of a few tips and tricks for anyone buying firewood from any local producers. 




  • Confirm the measurement matches what you get. A cord of wood is 128 stacked cubic feet and usually, a load is measured in cords. I sell a minimum of 1 cord but most producers have a minimum of 2.  
  • Not all producers can do this but ask for a moisture reading if they have a meter. If not, you can pick one up fairly cheap at Canadian tire. Most wood is around 30-40% moisture content when delivered but it should be 10-15% moisture content when burned. 
  • Stack and cover your wood when you get it, and ideally in a place where there is good air circulation. If it's outside, in an area with a nice breeze will dry it out perfectly!
  • Ask for a receipt and confirm they have a GST/HST number if you want to apply for any provincial heating rebates.
  • Confirm the minimum order and what the delivery cost is. An example is my trailer can only hold one cord, so I charge per delivery. This means if you get 1 or 2 cords, I'm a good producer for you but if you want 4 or 5 cords I will recommend someone else since it might be more expensive to order from me. 
Check out the Department of Natural Resources site for more great information on ordering firewood! https://novascotia.ca/natr/woodlot/firewood.asp 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Farm Planning for 2024

As we settle into the winter months of January and February, we are looking ahead to planning for the year after the snow melts. Although wi...